spanning_time

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

A Revolution Stunted: Until Next Year...

This is the last post for the A Revolution Stunted series. It's an occasion, so I'm going to break out of the Editorial We for a moment. I'm glad my readers (this means you) have not only stuck around, but have enjoyed the series. I wasn't sure how it would be received and I won't be so quick to doubt my readership in the future. Thanks to everyone for the comments, both here on the Interweb and in the real world. Really, it means a lot to know my words weren't falling on deaf ears.

So how do you close out a series like this? It's been a fun, frustrating, disheartening, and enlightening exercise finding these videos every day and I'm really glad I did it, if only to get some thoughts out into the world. I feel so much pride in my history (as you should for yours), but it's hard to feel so powerless about where things stand. There's so much potential, so much progress left to be made and sometimes it doesn't feel like anyone's stepping in to fill the void. I certainly didn't do this to propose solutions, but venting about the problems has to count for something, right?

So to close things out, I'm flipping things a bit. After a month of samples of the revolution being stunted, here are three videos to close things out on a hopeful note. The revolution may be stunted, but the revolution moves on, and that's what matters most. Until next year...
________

This is from an episode of The Boondocks that posits that MLK didn't die, but instead ended up in a coma. This speech closes out the episode, and sums up things up nicely.


James Brown represents both the shame and the glory. He was a drug abuser and wife-beater, but he was also one of the greatest entertainers the world has ever known. R.I.P.


This is the book they're referring to at the beginning of this clip.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • I started reading your blog because Zach told me you were doing this, so I've never known anything else. I really enjoyed this series, I hope you don't shy away from speaking your mind.

    By Blogger Trainwrek, at 7:48 AM  

  • Usually this blog is a bit more focused on fun things to do, but it tends to be a bit of a catch-all at points too, so even if the manifestation is just more society-minded events, commentary will still probably show up on occasion.

    By Blogger 2RedShoez, at 3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home