spanning_time

Friday, March 24, 2006

Postscript: Prince vs. Michael

Kent Brockman knows Michael Jackson should have won.I left around midnight, but even without staying it was obvious that Prince was going to win the evening's votes. The DJ called out to get a feel for the crowd. Michael received a mediocre response, while Prince received a thunderous roar. Fair enough. What irks me about that is that the DJ then proceeded to play "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" followed by "Thriller," which had the crowd going nuts (although I was expecting more people to bust out their zombie choreography than actually did). From there he went to a Prince song (you know, that groovy funky one where he plays guitar), and the dancefloor emptied. And Prince is still the winner? Whatever.

Sure, MJ may have a predilection for little boys, but this was supposed to be about the music. It's not like Mr. I'll Change my Name To an Unpronouncable Symbol, become a hardcore Jehovah's Witness and Disown Much of My Back-Catalog doesn't have some skeletons in his closet too. People voted with their feet, but then voted with their emotions when it came time to turn in the ballot. To quote Kent Brockman, "I've said it before, and I'll say it again; democracy simply doesn't work."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home